Pafford / Combs Family History

Frances (nee Smart) and Roscoe Pafford had three children:
  • Marion Edison Pafford died in Hardesty January 8, 2006.
  • Clinton Randolph Pafford died in Guymon in 1980.
  • Leona Margaret (Pafford) Combs lives in Turpin, Oklahoma.

Francis is pictured here - more on her family

Jim and Jeanne - Christmas 2005

-- Autobiography, Jeanne Glasgow - 2006

Jeanne (nee Pafford) Glasgow

During WWII I met Jim Glasgow at a dance for servicemen who were stationed in Tucson, Arizona, at Davis-Monthan, Ryan, and Marana Airfields.

I was dancing with a Cadet when Jim walked by intending to leave and go to the gym for a workout. He changed his mind when I smiled at him--he was so good-looking--and he cut in to dance with me.

We married a year later on March 12, 1944. Our "war marriage" has lasted 62 years.

I was in college, at the University of Arizona, during the war years. Having graduated from high school at the age of 16, I was in my junior year of college when I was married, intending to finish after the war. I went to work in the clerical department at Consolidated Aircraft in Tucson. My father was working there, too.

Jim was sent overseas in January 1945, and our first son, Jimmy, was born while he was on Tinian, the island from which the Enola Gay bomber delivered the A Bomb on Hiroshima. He returned to Tucson in November, 1945, and did graduate work at the U. of A., using the G.I. bill.

Since then, we have lived in Marana, Florence, Casa Grande, and Tucson, towns where he was a band director. I have been a stay-at-home Mom who was blessed with a lyric-coloratura singing voice and enjoyed solo and chorus work throughout the years. My father had a fine baritone voice and my sister Jerry had a good alto voice. I am told that good singing voices run in the Pafford family.

After moving back to Tucson in 1953, Jim became principal clarinetist in the Tucson Symphony and I took voice lessons, becoming a soloist at churches, luncheons, weddings, funerals, and special occasions. I sang in the Tucson Opera Chorus, performing in many operas, and sang in concerts and programs with local ensembles and groups. Unfortunately, my sister did not develop her alto voice.

A high point in our lives was entertaining Benny Goodman in our home at a small (l0 guests) dinner in 1960. Jim met him since he was the principal clarinetist and Benny was here to be guest soloist with the Tucson Symphony Orchestra at a concert. After our dinner, Benny, Sam, (the professor of clarinet at the U. of A.), and Jim played trios in our living room. Jimmy, who was now 15, and a fine clarinetist, joined them in a couple of quartette numbers. Then Benny asked Gary, our 11-year-old son, who also a clarinetist, to play for him. Benny and Jim became friends and kept touch over the years until Benny died.

Jim retired in 1982, but I am active in a number of social organizations. I take writing classes and have been published. (My latest will be in the Oct. issue of "Good Old Days"). I organized a book club 7 years ago that meets once a month at El Parador for luncheon meetings. We call it "Eaters' Digest Book Club" I take fitness classes 3 times a week, and walk in the early mornings at a nearby shopping mall. I research family genealogy and that is why I belong to D.A.R., D.A.C., and Colonial Dames.

We have traveled to Europe, the British Isles, and gone on cruises. Since our children's homes are from the East Coast to the West Coast, we spend a lot of time on planes, visiting them. We are a close-knit family. There are so many interesting and fun things to do in life that I know I won't live long enough to do everything I would like to do.

Jeanne and Jim had five children:

James Alan Glasgow, age 60, lives in McLean, Va. with his wife, Alice, and two daughters, Julie and Cathy. Jim is an attorney, a partner with a large law firm on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C.

  • Julie is 18 and a freshman at Dartmouth.
  • Cathy is 16 and a junior in high school.

Dr. Gary Douglas Glasgow, age 56, who lives in San Diego, California, with his wife Karen. He is an anesthesiologist at Mercy Hospital.

Carolyn Sue (nee Glasgow) Buchanan, age 55, who lives in Phoenix, Az. with her husband, Charles. They have three adult children:

  • Jason, age 30
  • Dan, age 28
  • Laura, age 25

Kendall Craig Glasgow, age 50, who lives in Showlow, Az. in the White Mountains. He is a tile contractor.

Lynelle Jeanne (nee Glasgow) Sylliaasen, age 43, who lives in Austin, Texas, with her husband, Steve, and their 2 little boys. She graduated at the U. of A. with a B.A. in Musical Theatre and has been active in theatre, not only in Tucson, but Ft. Worth, Denton, and Grapevine, Texas. - always playing the lead role. She has a beautiful voice, as well as singing, dancing, and acting. She is a Speech Pathologist and is working part time at the present.

  • Luke will be 3 in June
  • Joshua will be 2 in October

Levin Louis "Jack" Pafford

-- Family History, Jeanne Glasgow - 2006

The 4 J's: Jeanne, Jessie, Jerry and Jack

Jack Pafford at 22

The Paffords were prominent in Del Rio, Texas, and a street there is named after the family. Levin's grandfather, Randolph Pafford, was one of the owners of the San Felipe Irrigation Company near Del Rio, and his father, Marion, was secretary of the company. A Methodist congregation met in Randolph's large living room before he donated land and lumber so they could build a church. He owned a large cattle ranch and his was one of several that had cattle stolen by Mexicans who crossed over the border to steal cattle. A claim against the Mexican government was pending for 75 years, and finally in 1947, money was paid to the descendants, of which Levin was one. Some relics and mementos from the Pafford family are displayed in the historical museum there in Del Rio.

Levin was born on August 7, 1898, and was the youngest of James "Marion" and Teresa (nee Arredonda) Pafford's seven children. When he was a little boy, his father developed Tuberculosis (they called it Consumption) and became too ill to work. Levin and his 15-year-old sister, Florence, were the only children that were still living at home when his father made plans to move the family to Douglas, Arizona, where his oldest son Ross was living. Marion died before they could make the move. Levin was 9 years old.

He and his mother lived with his oldest sister Lottie and her husband. In his teens, he moved to Ft. Worth to live with his sister Florence and her husband and attended school there. He returned to Del Rio, worked in a local store and lived with his mother until he was twenty. He took a trip to Tucson to see a friend and liked the town so well that he found a job and stayed. He met Jessie Garrett in Tucson and married her in 1920. In 1923, Jeanne was born, followed by another daughter, Jerry, in 1928. In Tucson he was called "Jack" and from then on never used the name Levin, except for legal papers.

He was basically an automobile mechanic, but over the years he was an automobile salesman, an airplane builder, mechanic, tractor and bulldozer operator and foreman of shops--at Consolidated-Vultee Aircraft Corporation during WWII, and foreman of the transportation and maintenance department for Tucson Unified School District until his retirement. He was very good at mathematics and could quickly do problems in his head. He was disappointed that he could not attend college. He would have done well in Engineering. He was an inventor and fix-it man. He liked working with his hands and had an abundance of energy. He had a large workshop with tools and equipment neatly organized.

When he worked for Consolidated Aircraft, he was awarded $145 for his suggestion for a cooling system for mercury motors for pumping water into the fire protective system. It was the second highest award to be made by the Tucson Division and an article with this information and his picture appeared in the newspaper in 1943. Daddy built one of the first swamp coolers in Tucson. It was an excelsior-lined wood box with an electric fan placed on the bottom. He mounted it in a window opening and attached a garden hose that dripped water through the excelsior. The water drained onto the lawn beneath. We had a lot of company the first summer we had that cooler. Friends were drawn to our cool living room.

Jack's Hobbies

Jack had several hobbies during his lifetime. When he was in his early twenties, he entered car races in El Paso. After he was married, he learned to fly an airplane and bought an Eagle Rock airplane. It was a two-seater, open-cockpit, biplane with a propeller on the front. When flying, he wore an outfit like Clark Gable wore in his old movies when he piloted an airplane. Those were jodhpurs, a soft brown leather helmet, and goggles. For a while he sported a mustache, and resembling Clark Gable, was very handsome.

He flew in air shows at the old Tucson Municipal airport where he competed in racing, balloon bursting, dead stick landing, and other competition, usually coming in 2nd or 3rd place. He did rolls and dives. He and two other men rebuilt planes at the civilian hangar at Tucson airport. There are several articles about him in the Arizona Historical Society. One article tells of his Eagle Rock plane crashing. A man who was a student at Mayse Air Service borrowed Jack's plane and was making practice flights from one field to the other. He had just left the Mayse field for the Tucson municipal field and the plane was 800 feet up when it went into a spin from which he failed to recover. He was not badly hurt. That was in 1931.

Our father told my sister, Jerry, that he and his friend, Wiley Post, used to fly along the railroad tracks, buzz the boxcars and scare the hobos riding on top of the boxcars.

In 1937, Jack received a ham radio operator's license. He built his radio station, put up high antennas outside our house and bought a Breting radio and other radio equipment. W6OWX were his call letters. Eventually, he had ham radio equipment in his car, too.

He and our mother spent their retirement years in the White Mountains in Arizona. First, they had a trailer on the White River, where they enjoyed fishing. After a few years, they bought land in Lakeside and built a summer place. Fishing was still their favorite thing to do, but they played bridge, bingo, hiked and hunted rocks. Jack added another hobby - jewelry making. He made bracelets, rings, earrings, pins, pendants, and bolo ties for family and friends, as gifts. Much of it was turquoise and silver Indian jewelry. I treasure the beautiful pieces that he made for me.

He was a father that my sister and I loved and admired. He was fun, too, and liked to tease and joke. He had so much energy and was always working on a project. He cared about his many friends and was always ready to help when needed.

On July 12, 1985, he died at age 87, unexpectedly. He had hoped for a quick exit while still in good health when his time came. That is what happened. He was driving his car and stopped at a gas station to buy gas. He stepped out of the car, and that was all he knew. A well-lived life was over.


FAMILY HISTORY - Peggiann & Neal Combs Rt.1 Box 12 Turpin,Ok 73950