Edward Riley Hoyt

Edward Riley Hoyt was born on February 10, 1873 in South English, Keokuk County, Iowa. [per Frank Livingston Hoyt's birth certificate]

He was the third of nine children born to Martin Hanford Hoyt and Louisa (nee Hand) Hoyt.

When a young boy, around 1878, the Hoyt family moved to Lincoln Township, Smith County, Kansas.

Sometime around 1899, the family moved to Clay County, Nebraska. [Jackie/Bob can fix this date? Conflicts with marriage date - is derived from Frank's Obit ]]

Ed married Cora Della HAND on February 10. 1897 in Clay Center, Clay County, Nebraska, when she was 17 and he was 24.

Edward Riley Hoyt and Cora Della (nee Hand) Hoyt had five children:

  • Frank Livingston Hoyt (next page)
  • Elsie Mae Hoyt (1901 )
  • Dafnah Leone (Daphne) Hoyt (1903 -1909)
  • Alvin Legrand Hoyt (1905 -1994)
  • Carlos Benton (Corkey) Hoyt (1912 - 1987)

Ed was a blacksmith and wheelwright until 1918, having been taught both trades by his paternal Grandfather Walter W. Hoyt. In latter years, Ed operated a grain harvester, following the harvest season north from Texas to North Dakota. Then he would spend the winter in California.

Edward Riley Hoyt died on January 1, 1947 at the age of 73, in Oakdale, California. He was buried in the AL Hoyt family plot in Bayard, Morrill Country, Nebraska.

Ed is not buried next to Betty Mae. There are 3 empty spaces in her lot, which is just to the left of Alvin L. Hoyt and wife. Ed Hoyt is laid just to the right of Alvin L. Hoyt, who is just to the right of his wife, Dorothy Cadwell.

1945 reunion in Arizona with brother and sisters.

Edward Hoyt - Remembrances

Curtis HOYT (Edward's millionaire brother) said that in Ed's prime there was not a man alive that could stand up against him, because he was super strong and quick as a cat. Frank and Al HOYT Ed's two oldest sons (both 6 foot and 200 lbs. and both in their prime) decided that it would be a good joke to throw their father in the horse trough on his 50th birthday. So they caught him off-guard setting in a rocking chair on the front porch and within minutes both Frank and Al found themselves in the horse trough--not Ed.


One time Ed and Art Stroud (a family friend for many years) were walking down main street in Tracy when a panhandler approached Ed and asked for lunch money, which Ed gave him plus a little more. Art said, why did you do that? You know dam well that he will only buy alcohol with the money and Ed answered that sometimes alcohol is as important to a drinking man as food is to others.


Ed was always helping people. He gave away more money than most people earn in a lifetime. He always said that greed was responsible for most of the world's problems. He died broke but content. You cannot take the money with you, but hopefully, you can take the contentment.

Ed was partial to his grandson Bobby Frank HOYT and want to leave him a berry farm in Arkansas which was never located by the family after Ed's death.--Bob Hoyt


Edward Riley Hoyt never remarried and he parceled all of his children out to be raised by various relatives.

He was 6 ft. 3 in.--about the same as Al Hoyt, but much stockier. He must have weighed 250 lbs. or more. He was what they now call a real hunk, all muscle and bone with no fat. I remember him towering over my dad who was 6 ft.

He used to dance a great Irish jig, he played the fiddle. Two of his favorite songs were The Irish Washer Woman and You Are My Sunshine.

He became quite stooped in later years, but he was a hell of a good man and worked right up to his death. In fact he was helping my uncle Bud Sillivan repair a grain harvester when he got hurt. A big gust of Tracy wind blew the shop door open and it knocked him down. He fell on his back across a concrete step. He was rushed to the Oakdale hospital (the Tracy hospital was full) and he died there a few days latter.

I relay loved that old man! Your dad, my dad and myself visited him just a few hours before he died and the last thing he said was to me. However, his voice was so weak that I could not understand him. Your dad cried big tears all the next day. I remember because it was the first time I had ever seen a grown man cry like that. I asked my dad about it at the time and he said that Al loved his father very much.--Letter from Bob Hoyt to Jacquelyn (Hoyt) Laux, dated Jan. 20, 2000


One morning we were all sitting around the kitchen table having breakfast at my folks house in Tracy when grandpa's [Edward's] bird dog started scratching on the screen door. After about the fifth or sixth time, my dad got up, went out and gave the dog a big kick! My mother said "Frank, you shouldn't have done that", but grandpa never said a word, he just got up and went out the door, he then loaded his dog in his old car and drove off. Well, we didn't see or hear from grandpa for a couple of years.

I was hunting sparrows in our back yard at Tracy with my new Red Rider BB gun and I mistakenly hit a insulator and the electric line fell down. Well, I knew that I was in deep trouble. Grandpa who was staying with us at the time, saw what had happened and he promptly repaired the line as good as new and saved my bacon. My dad never knew what had happened!

In Nebraska our grandfather had a farm that had a wooden bridge. The neighbors had several horses, which they just let run loose and forage for themselves, mainly on grandpa's farm. You could always tell when they were coming because of the clatter on the wooden bridge.

Well, one night my dad told grandpa that the next time those dam horses came on his property he was going to give them a load of buckshot. Grandpa said that he shouldn't do that as it wasn't the horses fault, they were just hungry. However, one night my dad heard the horses hit the bridge and he stepped out the front door and blasted away.

The next morning grandpa went out early to do the chores and when he came back in the house he said to my dad, "Boy, Frank you sure shot the hell out of those horses last night". So feeling somewhat guilty, my dad went out to see what he had done. Directly in front of the front door was grandpa's brand new Model A Ford with the radiator and part of the motor blown off. As a reminder of my dad's rash action, he left the car sit right there for a year or more!

Grandpa had a crew of corn huskers working on his farm when the weather turned inclement and no one would live the house with its warm stove. One morning grandpa came back in the house after doing the morning chores and he said, " I don't know which one of you guys hid that pint bottle of whiskey in the oat bin, but someone should get it out of there, because if it broke, the glass would harm the horses". Well, within 10 minutes the house was empty and everyone was out in the barn searching through the oat bin and of course finding nothing. In the crew was Art Stroud, Bud Sillivan along with Al and Frank Hoyt.--Bob Hoyt Jan. 2000


Edward R. Hoyt Come to End of Life's Journey Was buried Here on Jan. 6, Has Many Friends Here --- From "Bayard Transcript", Bayard, Nebraska, dated Jan. 9, 1947, page 2, col. 1:

The remains of Edward R. Hoyt, 74, who died in California, Dec. 31, was returned to this city and under the direction of the Plumrier Funeral Home was laid to rest in the Bayard Cemetery on Monday, Jan. 6.

Funeral services were held at the Christian church, Rev. H. F. Carter, minister, having charge of the services. Mr. Hoyt lived on a ranch at Bayard for 20 years, leaving here in 1941 and since then has made his home with his son Frank at Tracy, California.

He was married on Feb. 10, 1897 to Cora E. Hand who passed away in Wichita Falls in 1918. He was a member of the Christian Church at Norton, Kansas. The following children survive him; Alvin Hoyt of Bayard, Carlos Hoyt, of Gering, Elsie Detrich of Abilene, Kansas, and Frank Hoyt of Tracy, Calif. One daughter Dafna Leone preceded him in 1907.

Surviving brothers and sisters: Curt Hoyt of Tucson, Ariz, Emory Hoyt of Glenwood, Calif., Mart Hoyt of Vici,Okla., Mrs. Eva Bisbee of Denver, Colo., Mrs. Emma Donneiley, Los Angeles, Calif., and Mrs. Mary Perfect of Alva, Okla.